Please include a cover letter with your resume (in one file) describing how you would be a great fit at Photonic and what attributes you could bring to our growing team.
As a Test & Measurement Technician, you play a significant role in the characterization of our silicon spin quantum chips. As we work towards scaling, improving the performance, and deploying more of our devices, you will be responsible for measuring and analyzing devices, characterizing fabricated chips, and assessing the viability of chips for production. You have an exceptional ability to manipulate small objects with high precision, come from a strong optics background, and enjoy using your background to carefully align and characterize Photonic’s quantum chip devices.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Characterize (measure and analyze) our silicon chips for the quantum development team
- Support wire bonding and cryogenic activities with high precision mechanical alignments with micron-level precision
- Set up, test, and perform measurements using a wide variety of electronic and mechanical systems, electronic test equipment and optical microscopy.
- Support general lab activities such as, building up optomechanical sub-systems, building up camera imaging systems, and maintaining optical systems, etc.
- Write technical documentation and standard-operating procedures
- Train, guide, and develop current and new team members
WHAT YOU BRING TO OUR TEAM
- Bachelor's degree in Physics or Engineering with courses or formal training in areas such as electronics/electrical technology, cryogenics, computing systems and programming, mechanical systems, or optical systems.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Fine motor skills and good near vision with the ability to handle 1mm objects with forceps, with ease.
- Familiarity with standard metrology tools (indicators, micrometers, gauge blocks, etc).
- Familiarity with laser operation and fiber optics.
- Proficiency in working with Python or other modern programming languages
- Previous experience building free space optomechanical assemblies in imaging applications and laser / beam shaping applications is a plus.
- Experience with cryogenic systems is a plus.
- Solidworks or other Computer-Aided Design software (Fusion 360) is a plus.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to work independently and meet critical deadlines
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US
- Get involved with a quantum startup company set to redefine computing
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in quantum technologies
- Enjoy a fast-paced and fun environment where you can try new things while solving innovative challenges every day
- Inclusive company culture
- Competitive salary, benefits (including life insurance, extended health, dental, long term disability, and a flexible spending account), and potential upside
The base annual salary range for this full-time role is between $80,000 to $119,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all Canadian locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The description above is what we think an ideal candidate would look like for this role. At Photonic, we understand that everyone has a different work and life journey. If you feel your experience is close to what we've described, but you might not meet all the requirements, please still apply! We are also committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences, knowing that these very differences inspire innovation and build better teams. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process, please let us know.